Ziga Primary School is situated in Matabeleland North Province in the Tsholotsho District, South East of Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe. The School was established in 1948 by George Masuku who was the Village Headman at that time and now falls under Chief Matupula’s territory. Children In The Wilderness have been affiliated with Ziga Primary School for over five years now, and with the assistance of donor funding, CITW have been instrumental in helping develop the school to its current day status through the implementation of numerous projects including the renovation and building of classrooms; supply of school furniture and educational materials; teacher training and Eco-Club Programmes; Nutrition Programmes and more recently the construction of a dedicated Library and Computer Room. The schools remote position means that it does not have access to the national electrification grid so investigations were made into the installation of solar power, specifically for the Library building, which would provide lighting and power points for the schools four donated computers and projector machine.
Thanks to the generosity of Grand Circle Foundation travellers in the USA, Solar Electrification valued at US$22,964.00 was successfully installed under the direction of Children in the Wilderness Zimbabwe in February 2015. As this is now the only electrified room on the school premises, this project ensures maximum use of the new library and computer room as the facility can now also offer evening access to students, teachers and community members. The provision of solar powered electricity also offers research opportunities for teachers as well as providing the means necessary to host adult literacy or computer classes, sewing classes, a general business centre and many other income generating projects for the school.