Insight and inspiration from Rebecca Rothney, founder of the life-changing Pack for a Purpose organisation…
Wilderness Safaris states on their website, “Everything we do is aimed at creating journeys that change lives and inspire positive action.” This is certainly true for my husband and me.
In 2002 we had the pleasure of going on our first Wilderness Safari in Botswana. With their help, we were able to take 140 lbs of supplies to a school they were supporting. This rewarding experience planted the seed for Pack for a Purpose, which seven years later, grew into the all-volunteer website I founded.
I wanted to provide other travelers with a simple yet impactful way to contribute to the communities they visited. Wilderness Safaris became part of the original 27 accommodations on our website. There are now over 425 accommodations and tour companies in over 60 countries where travelers can make a Big Impact.
Every time we had enough frequent flyer miles, we returned to the continent of Africa. Five of those times, we again went on Wilderness Safaris journeys, and each time, we were able to Pack for a Purpose. We are so impressed by their commitment to the Children in the Wilderness program that we made a bequest in our will to their nonprofit.
Because of the inspiration provided by Wilderness Safaris so many years ago, I have been fortunate to experience the following:
- Connecting with communities across the globe
- Affirming my belief that people are generous and wish to express their gratitude to the communities they visit
- Interacting with college interns who have led me firmly into the computer age and the 21st century 🙂
- The joy that comes from reading stories from travelers and communities submitted to our website about the positive experience they have had through Pack for a Purpose
- Knowing that each person who chooses to can enrich the lives of others
Of course, on each safari, we had the joy of meeting the amazing staff at the Wilderness Safaris camps and had a phenomenal and instructive time. Being in the wild and not being part of the food chain is fabulous.
I will always be indebted to Wilderness Safaris for the way their ethic and commitment to the children of southern Africa informed the last 17 years of my life.